Content creation is one of the most challenging aspects of social marketing. It’s time consuming and can be a large expense.
What is Content?
Content is valuable, relevant and consistent and used to attract a specific audience. Content can include the following:
- Blog Posts
So, how can you be an effective marketer if you’re lacking on content? Simple: recycle it.
Audiences aren’t as engaged, or as observant, as you might think they are. For example, here are the average shelf lives of posts on social media channels used to share content.
- Twitter - 20 minutes
- Facebook - 3-5 hours
- LinkedIn - 24 hours
What does this mean for you and your content? It means that only a small percentage of your audience is seeing your content the first time around, and that you can repost it to get more bang for your buck. Err on the side of caution however, here are the time frames in which it’s acceptable to repost:
- Twitter - 3 hours
- Facebook - 24 hours
- LinkedIn - 3 days
- Remember that you do not want every post to be about you or your business. Mix it up
with interesting content created by other sources.
- Resharing content increases the engagement and views of that content. You have great
content, it’s your responsibility to get it in front of the consumer!
- You can repurpose content across several platforms. You can turn a series of tweets into a
blog post, or a blog post into a series of tweets, shorten your Facebook posts in to tweets,
- Always add value. Highlight different pieces of content, ask questions, reference related
content. Don’t repost the same words over and over.
- Know your audience. This will help you tailor posts to their interests and keep your
audience engaged. Track which posts are performing well and create future posts in the
- Research additional networks for your brand. Look into channels such as SlideShare,
YouTube and podcast as a way of sharing content.
You have valuable content! Keep sharing it so that the most people can see it and everyone wins, you consumers want to see what you have to say!